"Where are we heading?"
This is the question that is asked constantly in church life. Its important that people know who we are before committing to a new group, especially a church. Those who are members with us need to be reminded consistently of the goal posts. And our leaders need benchmarks to assess whether we are on track. Here is our sense of where God is pointing us.
The purpose statement of Springwood Church of Christ is drawn from the final words of Jesus Christ to His disciples in the 'Great Commission' in Matthew 28:19-21
"Go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
We believe that the final instructions of Jesus present a threefold Purpose Statement that forms the central organising principle of Springwood Church of Christ.
1. Jesus simply tells us to "Go." On this basis, we believe that Christ calls us to go into the world to participate in being good news to others.
2. Jesus tells us to "make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." We believe that God desires that all people would come to know Him through Christ.
3. Jesus tells us to "teach them to obey everything I have commanded you." We believe that God calls us to grow in Christ-likeness.
Therefore, Springwood Church of Christ exists to help people:
Know God personally as Father, Saviour and Lord Grow as Christians in relationship with God and each other Go together to share this relationship with othersOn the basis of our purpose statement, Springwood Church of Christ seeks to provide a discipleship process which gives opportunities for people to do these three things. We believe that healthy and maturing believers are always coming to know God more, while simultaneously growing in Christ-likeness, and seeking to advance the gospel by going into the world. Thus at Springwood Church of Christ, we encourage all attendees to participate each week in:
- an activity that helps them to come to know God more,
- an activity that helps them to grow in God more,
- and lastly an activity where they go into the world to advance the gospel.